- Food Processing activities have been identified as “Thrust sector” by the State Government. Additional subsidies are being provided for food processing industries under Tripura State Incentive scheme.
- Favourable agro-climatic conditions for growing various fruits and horticultural crops.
- Major Fruit Crops – Pineapple, Jackfruit, Orange, Litchi, Cashew, Coconut, Mang) ; Major spices – Ginger, Turmeric, Chilli
- Queen Pineapple of Tripura has been declared as “State Fruit”. Pineapples and Oranges renowned for their unique flavour; and organic nature of produce
- Potential for rice milling sector with modern technology. Already 2 (two) Modern Rice Mill units are functional. Also few more rice milling projects are in pipeline.
- During recent years, number of food processing units have come up in Tripura. Some examples are: Modern Flour Mill, Cashew Processing, Iodised Salt, Ice slabs/ Ice candy/ Ice cream, Soya Nuggets, Spice manufacturing, Bakery/ Biscuits manufacturing, Groundnut processing, salted snacks, Cold Storages, etc.
Food Park: A modern Food Park has been set up at Bodhjungnagar with all necessary common facilities for food processing industries including cold storage, warehouse, R&D/ Quality Control Lab, common packaging facility etc. PRAN company has started their production and running successfully at Food Park.
Mega Food Park: One Mega Food Park has been set up at Tulakona (near Agartala) with the financial assistance of Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India. The total project cost is about Rs. 87 crores, out of which grant from the Ministry of Food Processing is about Rs.50 crores.
Food Testing Lab : One Food Testing Lab has been set up at Bodhjungnagar Industrial Complex. This Lab is NABL accredited.
2. Pradhan Mantri KISAN SAMPADA Yojana (PMKSY) of Ministry of Food Processing Industries :
Under the PMKSY scheme of Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of Tripura, financial grant is being provided for food processing related activities under the following components :
- Mega Food Park (ongoing) [Rs. 50.0 cr.]
- Integrated Cold chain and value chain infrastructure (ongoing) [Rs. 10.0 cr. grant ; max 50%-75% ]
- Creation/Expansion of food processing & preservation capacities (new) [Rs. 5.0 cr. grant ; max 50% ]
- Infrastructure for agro-processing cluster (new) [Rs. 10.0 cr. grant ; max 50% ]
- Creation of backward and forward linkages (new) [Rs. 5.0 cr. grant ; max 50% ]
- Food safety and quality assurance infrastructure (ongoing)
- Human resources and Institution (ongoing)
3. List of projects on offer :
|Sl No.||Name of the project||Product|
|1||Multi-product packhouse||Fresh fruits and vegetables with improved shelf life and packaging for export and premium domestic market.|
|2||Integrated De-hydrated Fruit-Vegetable unit||Dried fruits and vegetables for domestic and export market.|
|3||Integrated fruit- vegetable processing unit||Pulp, paste & juice of tomato, chilli, fruits etc.|
|4||Modern Rice Mills||Sheller type machines|
|5||Multi fruit processing plant||Pineapple and orange juice concentrate, tomato paste, canned pineapple slices etc.|
|6||Cashew processing plant||Cashew nut, cashew nut shell liquid|
|7||Bakery and Biscuit manufacturing unit||Bread, cake, biscuits and other bakery items of good quality with franchise of reputed brand.|