Tripura Strategic Location:
Location of Tripura is strategic in the international context, being between Bangladesh on one side and South East Asia on the other. In the past the state head natural communication link-road, rail and water way- with and through Bangladesh. Efforts are on for their revival.
• Historical and Natural Links with Bangladesh. Potential gateway between Bangladesh and North East.
• Important Cities & towns in proximity; connectivity through plain, non-mountainous areas.
• Trade & Commerce across the border recognized as significant contributor to State’s post-independence economy
• Official Trade with Bangladesh started in 1994-95; fast picking up; 7 LC Stations on Tripura-Bangladesh Border.
• Ashuganj Port declared as Port of call and Agartala - Akhaura rail link being established.
• Access to Chittagong Port of Bangladesh for movement of goods- bridge over river Feni being construed.
• Passenger bus service between Agartala - Dhaka - Kolkata.
• Tripura acts as a "Gateway" between North East India and Bangladesh and Natural partner in India's Act East Policy being land bridge to ASEAN.
Distances of major cities from Agartala
|Location From||Location To||Distance(in Km)|
|AGARTALA||DHAKA||By Road 150 K.M.|
|KAILASHAHAR||SYLHET||By Road 90 K.M.|
|SABROOM||CHITTAGONG||By Road 75 K.M.|
|SONAMURA||COMILLA||By Road 25 K.M.|